FITZCARRALDO EDITIONS NOVEL PRIZE
The Fitzcarraldo Editions Novel Prize is an annual competition rewarding ambitious, imaginative and innovative writing. Initially made possible by an Arts Council grant in 2017, the prize awards £3,000 to the best novel (minimum 30,000 words) by a writer resident in the UK and Ireland.
Submissions are open from 15 April to 15 July 2018. The judges will be looking for novels which explore and expand the possibilities of the form, which are innovative and imaginative in style, which tackle subjects and themes relevant to the world we live in. The winner will receive a £3,000 prize in the form of an advance against publication with Fitzcarraldo Editions. The winning novel will subsequently be published in Fitzcarraldo Editions’ fiction list.
The Fitzcarraldo Editions Novel Prize is open to all writers residing in the UK and Ireland. There are no age restrictions. Both published and unpublished writers are eligible to apply. We recommend that writers interested in submitting familiarise themselves with the Fitzcarraldo Editions list before entering. We welcome submissions from writers from diverse backgrounds.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please read these eligibility and entry rules carefully before submitting. Submission of an entry is taken as acceptance of the entry rules. For any queries not covered below, please email@example.com.
1) The competition is open to residents of Great Britain and Ireland only.
2) Entrants should submit a full manuscript of their novel (minimum 30,000 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The manuscript should be double-spaced, 12pt.
3) Each submission should include a cover letter including a biographical note, contact details and brief outline of the novel.
4) The submission must be original.
5) Entries can also be sent by post to Fitzcarraldo Editions, 243 Knightsbridge, London SW7 1DN.
6) Only submissions received by email or by post by midnight on 15 July 2018 (GMT) will be considered.
7) Entries that are incomplete, are corrupted or submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
8) The entry must be the entrant’s own original creation and must not infringe upon the right or copyright of any person or entity.
9) Co-authored entries will not be accepted.
10) Writers who have existing contracts, or who have previously held contracts, with publishers for books of fiction or non-fiction are eligible to enter.
11) Writers who have published writing (fiction or non-fiction) in magazines and journals are eligible to enter.
12) Writers who have published books of poetry are eligible to enter.
13) Writers may submit only one proposal per iteration of the prize.
14) The novel must be written in English (no translations).
15) Submissions may be made by the author of the novel or (if they have one) their agent.
16) There are no age restrictions, and we welcome submissions from writers of all backgrounds.
17) Submissions from writers residing outside of Great Britain and Ireland will not be considered.
18) All submissions should include page numbers.
19) The novel must be original and should not have been previously published anywhere in full. Published work is taken to mean published in any printed, publicly accessible form, e.g. anthology, magazine, newspaper. It is also taken to mean published online, with the exception of personal blogs and personal websites.
20) A shortlist of up to five novels will be announced by 15 September 2018. The winner will be announced in early October 2018.
21) Fitzcarraldo Editions reserves the right to organise a meeting with all shortlisted writers to discuss their novel before the award of the prize.
22) Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted.
23) No editorial feedback will be provided to unsuccessful entrants.
24) The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the judging process.
25) Fitzcarraldo Editions will have the exclusive right to publish the winning novel, but reserves the right not to publish.
26) Only submissions which meet all Terms and Conditions will be considered.
27) By entering this competition, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.